The Importance of First Aid Training in the Workplace
Posted: 26th October 2018
All workplaces across the UK have one thing in common – the requirement by law to ensure, as far as is reasonably practicable, the health, safety and welfare of all employees. Accidents are by their very nature, unexpected, and can happen in any industry at any time. A recent survey from the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) found that more than 609,000 injuries occurred within business settings between 2016 and 2017 (1). Although we’re sure that many of these injuries could have been preventable with proper workplace training (but that’s a matter for another day), the importance of having competent first aiders to respond to such accidents in a timely manner is clear.
The level of risk is dependent on the type of environment you work in and knowing how to administer first aid is a basic skill that all workers should possess - all employees have a duty of care to both themselves and others. Although most accidents heard about in the press are dramatic in nature, an employee can still utilise first aid skills for comparatively simple ailments.
Among the benefits of first aid training are:
- The ability of those who are competent to provide help during various emergency situations - If someone was to experience chest pains, slip on a wet floor or ingest a hazardous substance, a personal knowledgeable in first aid could become more than just a bystander. Instead, they become an invaluable support to help the victim, emergency responders and medical personnel.
- First Aid training helps to ensure the right methods of administering medical assistance are provided - Knowing how to administer the correct first aid could make a real difference in the outcome of the emergency. Those who are at the scene of an emergency and can provide CPR can help to reduce the risk of death or irreversible injuries due to lack of oxygen.
- First Aid Training can be applied to every aspect of life - Although provided for the workplace, those trained can take their new skills to every part of their lives.
All these situations require a basic knowledge of first aid and the steps that need to be undertaken in order to make the person either feel better or until the emergency services arrive. The purpose of first aid is to preserve life, prevent deterioration and to promote recovery.
So Why Choose Kentec Training Limited for Your Needs?
Kentec fully understand that first-aid training courses need to be as thorough and straightforward as possible and our training is suitable for all employees. Some important topics that will be addressed include:
- Emergency CPR techniques
- How to handle an unresponsive individual
- Addressing a choking victim
- Dealing with shock, blood loss and minor injuries
- Knowing what to do in the event of a heart attack
For an informal discussion on your training needs, please don’t hesitate to contact one of our helpful sales team on firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 0333 666 0555.