This course is suitable for anyone in an organisation who has a specific responsibility for fire safety in the workplace.
The course is suitable for:
- Quality fire wardens/fire marshals
- Provide a foundation of fire safety knowledge on which employer and responsible persons can build
- Increase fire safety knowledge of all employees
Please note that delegates must be at least 16 years old to attend this course and it is advised that learners have a minimum of Level 1 in Literacy or Numeracy, or equivalent due to the multiple choice examination at the end of the course.
Successful delegates will gain an understanding of the knowledge and skills required to carry out fire safety management at work, fire safety inspection, fire safety risk assessment and the legal requirements related to fire safety in the workplace.
At the end of the course delegates will take a multiple choice test. Successful delegates will receive an A4 certificate which will be valid for a period of 3 years from the date of the course.
1. Understand the hazards and risks associated with fire in the workplace:
- Explain how fires are caused in the workplace
- Describe the components of the fire triangle
- Identify the hazards during or after a fire, including the products of combustion
- Describe the characteristics of fire and smoke spread
2. Understand how fire risk is controlled in the workplace:
- State the different methods used to identify and control fire hazards
- Define the term 'means of escape' in relation to fire hazards
- Outline typical components for means of escape from fire hazards
- Describe methods of fire detection and raising the alarm
- Describe the principle of how fires are extinguished
- Describe how portable fire-fighting equipment should be used safely
- Identify common fixed fire-sighting systems and where they might be used
3. Understand the principles and practice of fire safety management at work
- Outline the duties of employers and employees with respect to fire safety in the workplace
- Outline how to undertake a simple fire safety inspection in the workplace
- Describe the stages involved in a fire risk assessment
4. Understand the role of the nominated fire warden
- State the role and function of fire wardens in their workplace:
- on a day to day basis
- during an emergency
- if they are not in their designated areas of responsibility when the alarm is raised
- Outline the content of a fire safety briefing
"The trainer was very helpful and explained the topics well. I would definitely consider studying further accredited courses, thank you very much"
- Rasik Vekaria
"The course was explained in an understandable manner and it made sense thanks to the trainer"
- Theo Davies
"Excellent training delivery, was well impressed. Thank You!"
"The trainer was very good and engaging, thank you"
- Luke Keating
"Very informative, couldn't have asked for more. Would recommend"
- Graham Clement