This five day course is designed for construction site managers, agents, quantity surveyors, construction directors and project directors, and persons who are, or are about to be, responsible for planning, organising, monitoring, controlling and administering groups of staff and workforce.
The course covers all relevant legislation and other issues that affect safe working in the building, construction and civil engineering industries. It highlights the need for risk assessment in the workplace, the implementation of the necessary control measures, and adequate communication to sustain a health and safety culture among the workforce.
This is a five-day course. Delegates are required to complete the full course (37.5 hours) to be eligible for certification.
Assessment will be by an exam paper and the completion of a case study exercise. The examination demonstrates to external bodies that the certificate is only awarded to successful delegates following both an assessment and examination. Delegates are expected to be interactive during the course and there is also a mandatory toolbox talk to be completed.
At the end of the theory session on day five, delegates will take a short 20 question multiple choice and 5 short written question test. There are 5 safety critical questions that must be answered correctly. For the last 10 minutes of the examination, delegates may use their books for reference. Upon successful completion of this course each delegate will receive a CITB Construction Skills Certificate of Training, valid for a period of 5 years.
As of December 2015, CITB has removed the grace period for renewing all CITB Site Safety Plus Courses, to remain certified in this area, you will need to take a refresher course before the expiry date on your certificate, otherwise the full course will need to be retaken.
Delegates are required to attend all five sessions in accordance with the course programme (regardless of delivery method undertaken) to achieve the necessary learning objectives to qualify for the certificate. If this is not possible, the delegate must enrol on a new course and retake the full five-day course.
However, if this is not possible due to extenuating circumstances (for example bereavement or certified illness), the delegate may enrol on a new course to complete the missing days, ensuring that they maintain the correct sequence of days, training and exercises. This must be authorised by CITB prior to confirmation with the delegate.
The course content includes the following topics delivered over 5 days.
- Health & Safety Law, including CDM Regulations
- Health & Safety Policies, risk assessments and method statements
- Induction, training, communication and leadership and worker engagement
- Inspection & Audit, statutory forms, notices and registers
- Accident prevention, control, reporting and investigation
- Management of health, welfare facilities, stress and mental health at work and drugs and alcohol
- COSHH, Lead, Asbestos, Dust, Fumes, Noise and Vibration and Manual Handling
- Site organisation, fire prevention and control, electrical safety and temporary works
- Plant and work equipment, mobile plant and vehicles, lifting operations and equipment and mobile workforce and driver safety
- Work at Height Regs, safe working at height, common access equipment, scaffolding, fall arrest and suspension equipment and excavations
- Underground and overhead services and confined spaces
- Multiple Choice Examination
It also includes recent changes in accepted working practices. Price includes the construction skills publication Construction Site Safety – Health, Safety and Environmental Information Manual (GE700), registration, certification, exam fees and a same day resit.
"Thank you for opening my eyes to H&S. The course and our instructors were of a very high standard"
- Paul Woods
"The instructor made the course fun and very informative and wish him all the best. The best course I have sat on"
- Scott O'Leary
"The instructor has made this course thoroughly enjoyable, helped apply the knowledge in real situations, very friendly and approachable. Great location, really informative great team of students"
- Patrick Joyce
"The instructor was very informative and has kept things interesting throughout"
- Jason Handly
"The instructor was very good teacher and was full of useful information"
- Grant Smart