Do Forklift Licences Expire?
Posted: 8th January 2016
There is often confusion as to whether RTITB Forklift licences expire. The simple way to explain it is that your RTITB Certificate doesn’t expire, it’s the NORS (National Operators Registration Scheme) registration that expires – although the certificate of basic training does not expire, the HSE strongly recommend that operators are provided with regular refresher training and assessment.
The HSE have provided guidance on driver refresher training and competence on their website at:
This resource offers guidance on legislation, guidance and good practice that is particularly relevant to employers, operators and trainers involved in the use of materials handling equipment.
- People lose skills if they do not use them regularly
- Most drivers and operators require regular training to keep their skills up to date
- Employers should offer workers refresher training whenever appropriate
Even if drivers operate vehicles every day, it is recommended that they receive regular refresher training to ensure that they:
- Maintain good driving habits in line with best practice;
- Learn new skills where appropriate; and
- Reassess their competence and skill level
Operatives may need refresher training if:
- The employer changes the type and class of vehicles they use;
- The operation relocates to a new site;
- Working procedures and policies are changes;
- The operatives become disabled; or
- The risks associated with the operation change
When to Re-Train
It is general best practice to consider a gap between initial training and refresher training of between (3) three to (5) five years, depending on the truck type, tasks, environment, frequency of work and risks.
In addition to the published guidance, further information can be found in the Approved Code of Practice for Rider Operated Lift Trucks (L117), which has special legal status in that if you are prosecuted for a breach of health and safety law and it is proved that you did not follow the relevant provisions of the code, you will need to show that you have complied with the duty or law in some other way or a court may find you at fault.
For further information on forklift courses and ensuring compliance with the law, please call us on 0333 666 0555.