NEBOSH introduce an open book exam for NG1
Posted: 20th July 2020
NEBOSH have moved away from the traditional invigilated two-hour written examination for NG1 unit and introduced a remote open book exam that can be completed from the comfort of the learner's home or in another suitable location, rather than the traditional classroom setting. Unlike the written examination, the new open book format will present learners with a realistic scenario, followed by a series of related questions to demonstrate the application of their skills and knowledge.
Learners will be able to access their learning materials and digital resources throughout the assessment period. The open book format is designed to test a delegates' ability to extract, interpret and apply relevant knowledge to the scenario provided.
The Assessment Process:
- After learners have completed their classroom course with us, we will register you for the open-book assessment. Once you are registered you will receive an e-mail confirmation, advising that you are booked onto the open book exam.
- NEBOSH will send you your unique login three days before the exam date. You will need to access your online portal prior to the exam date, create your account and change your password to one that is memorable. It is recommended that you familiarise yourself with the portal and the relevant policies.
- Your allocated account manager will give you a call to ensure you are logged in and happy with the portal. The assessment paper will not be available until the day of the examination.
- At 9am on exam day, the paper will become available to learners. You will have 24 hours to complete the assessment and submit your answers on the portal, though it is estimated it will take between 4-5 hours to complete. It is advisable to build in time to overcome any technical or unexpected challenges.
- Following the exam, your account manager will make contact to organise a closing interview with you and ask how you found the assessment process.
- You will undergo a closing interview with your NEBOSH tutor. The purpose of the closing interview is to confirm that the work you have submitted is your own and that you did not have any assistance in completing your answers. The closing interview will take place over video link (Zoom or Microsoft Teams). You will need to ensure you have photographic ID ready to provide for the interview. You will need to be alone during the interview.
- You will receive your results within 50 days of the exam date via e-mail.
The first open-book assessment is scheduled for Thursday 6th August 2020. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us on 0333 666 0555 or firstname.lastname@example.org.